What is five flower pig?
Five flower pig means Pork Belly, it is indeed called “五花肉” (wǔ huā ròu) in Chinese, which literally translates to Five Flower Meat.
五 = Five
花 = flower
肉 = Meat
Because pork bellies usually have 5 layers of meat:
3.thin layer of meat
5.thick layer of meat.
Altogether, 5 layers of meat. 花 in this context doesn’t mean “flower”, but rather “pattern”.
That’s how the name come from.
Five flower pig chinese dish
The following are some good five flower pig dish.
Pork with Spicy Cabbage
Stir-fried pork belly with spicy cabbage is a dish made with spicy cabbage and pork belly as the main ingredients, green pepper and beef as auxiliary materials, and green onions, ginger, garlic, etc. It is an indispensable main dish in Korean cuisine.
When making this dish, it should be noted that the spicy cabbage must be washed, so that the dish will be more delicious. The purpose of marinating pork belly is to make it more delicious.
Pork with Spicy Cabbage Recipe
1. Wash the spicy cabbage with water, drain the water for later use, cut the onion, ginger and garlic into small pieces for later use, and cut the pork belly into smaller pieces for later use
2. Put the chopped pork belly into a bowl, add a little salt, monosodium glutamate, and oyster sauce, and marinate for about ten minutes
3. Prepare a pot, put in the prepared pork belly after the pot is hot, stir-fry the lard and remove it for later use
4. Heat the oil in a pan. When the oil is 70% hot, add the prepared onion, ginger and garlic and sauté until fragrant. Add the prepared pork belly and spicy cabbage. Stir-fry quickly on high heat and add a little oyster sauce
5. After adding the oyster sauce, add a little water to the pot, and continue to stir-fry on high heat until the spicy cabbage and pork belly change color slightly
6. Before serving, add MSG, oyster sauce, pepper, and vinegar according to your own taste.
Stewed Pork Belly with Turnip Peel
This dish is a combination of meat and vegetables that is fatty but not greasy, with a very simple recipe that even beginners can easily master.
Stewed Pork Belly with Turnip Peel Recipe
1.Wash the pork belly with skin and cut into 0.5 cm thick slices. Add 1 tablespoon of cooking wine and 2 grams of white pepper powder. Mix well and marinate for about five minutes. Peel the white radish and cut into 1 cm thick slices.
2.Heat the wok with oil (not too much) and stir-fry the pork belly until it changes color.
3.Arrange the radish slices at the bottom of a pressure cooker, and then add the pork belly. Prepare a container and mix salt, chicken powder, the remaining cooking wine, white pepper powder, sugar, light soy sauce, ginger slices, and bone broth (or water).
4.Pour the prepared sauce into the pressure cooker, bring it to a boil over high heat, and then turn down the heat to low. Cook for 15 minutes and turn off the heat. After releasing the pressure, open the lid, and then use high heat to reduce the sauce slightly. (Don’t make it too thick, or it will be too salty.)
5.The Stewed Pork Belly with Turnip Peel is ready. You can also use a stew pot, bring it to a boil over high heat, and then simmer over low heat. Finally, use high heat to reduce the sauce slightly.